22 August 2007

Great new book

I recently purchased this awesome little book by Amy Karol.

This book is geared toward beginners, but the projects just beg to be expanded upon. While I have found quite a few typos in the book, most of them are so incredibly incorrect, that there is no problem. The author also has a Flickr group devoted to the book and she seems really, really quick at answering questions.

So far, I've finished a couple of projects... as is always the case, some have turned out much better than others. My poor old sewing machine just doesn't care to sew through multiple layers of fabric and she seems to have a REAL problem if there is cotton or polyester batting involved. Needless to say, I will be making a trip to JoAnn's to get more needles (they seem to break if you just look at them wrong).

My favorite project in the book to make so far was the "Easy Lap Quilt." I only wish I'd used nicer fabric... it was a really quick project, but still. Why, oh why, do I always do this? Prepare to see a recurring theme here.



My apologies about the color (I think the bottom photo is closest) and the not-so-appealing backdrop. As it turns out, there is only one place in my entire house/yard where you can get enough light to take pictures - yup, the trunk of the car when you can catch glare off of the paint job. Wouldn't you think there would be some benefit to having weeks of 95+ degree days... like sunshine?


I've also made a couple of bags featured in the book. My favorite is the Charming Handbag.



Again, the color is way off... in reality, it is much more pastel and pleasing than these pictures show (maybe the bottom photo is close-ish).

Last night, I started on the Pleated Beauty Bag. This is where all of the sewing machine trouble really started. There are a few "blips" in the sewing (every time an effing needle broke), but I decided that it is just a bag... well, maybe I didn't really decide that. Until next time, though.

I used the same green fabric as for the Charming Handbag (got a really good deal on a remnant, but I am not such a fan... but now it is gone ;) It turned out a little gaudier than I had intended, but the shape is great and it holds a lot. I did make one change to the pattern: the reinforcement that should be sandwiched between the lining and the outside of the bag is a little flat piece that sits on the floor of the bag so that it can be removed for carrying different kinds of loads. I've found that certain things (laptop, books, etc... many things I always carry around) tend to put permanent creases in these types of reinforcements. We'll see how this works.



You can see some of the great projects created by those who've bought this book at the Bend-the-Rules Sewing Flickr group.

That's all for now... back to work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

look at your cute little bag with the bow on it! you are way too modest...
laurie

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.